If you find yourself in between jobs and rather cramped for opportunities with little success in landing a job, it may be time to update your CV. For an accountant, the competition in the market is fairly high. Securing a position can take quite a while unless your first impression is reliable. When applying for a job, the first impression is made through a resume. Accounting has a very specific job description and it is important for you to have the necessary skills and qualifications. Compare your CV with an accounts resume template to see where improvements can be made or better download and create a new one.
What is an Accountant?
Working in the accounts department is about more than just crunching numbers. The job description of an accountant varies depending on the position of hierarchy. At each stage, an employee is required to carry out different tasks according to the responsibility and importance of that level. Here, accounting resume skills and objectives may vary accordingly.
Accounting Resume Samples
Accounting Job Descriptions
Below are a few job descriptions for different levels of accounting and accountants:
- Accounting Assistant. For an assistant, an accounting resume template usually includes a job description that requires them to create, handle and verify daily, weekly and monthly reports, maintain journal entries, check accounts etc.
- Accounting Manager. This job description includes overseeing and collaborating with other financial departments in the company, handling business decisions and making important reports on expenses, incomes, profit and loss, seeing to month and year end close, etc.
- Accounts Specialist. The accounting resume skills of a specialist should include being able to manage and allocate funds effectively. Also, create a number of business ideas that move the business forwards. Knowing your field of expertise within the field of accounts is necessary to write an appropriate accounting resume summary. Look through examples that are available for free online. With these professionally pre-designed templates, you can have the most unique CV easily by downloading.
Accounting Resume Objective
A resume objective is very similar to a summary and one can be used in place of the other. An accounting resume objective is a very important part of any CV because this is the first thing that an employer reads before reading the rest of the information provided. If this does not catch his/her attention, it is very unlikely that they would progress any further.
Essentials of an Accounting Resume Objective
There is a write and wrong way when it comes to writing objectives. Many people have trouble stating their career goals and objectives in a composed and brief paragraph. Below are a few points to remember when writing an accounting resume objective:
- Outline: An objective should provide an outline for your resume. Ensure that key skills and work experience is highlighted. An online sample will have it all.
- Brevity: In any accounting resume template that you avail, there will be only a line or two in which you must fit 2-3 sentences at most. This is meant to provide an overview of your professional qualifications.
- Compendious Statements: Remembering that ‘saying less implies more’, you should use the most appropriate and relevant terms in your objectives. It should display knowledge and competency that is required.
Accounting Resume Templates
Accounting Resume Summary
Much like an accounting resume objective, a summary is also a statement of abilities and experience that provide an overview to a prospective employer about your relevance for the job and why they should choose you.
An accounting resume summary is usually provided in a cover letter but is sometimes also present in a CV. If necessary go through an online accounts resume sample for a more generalized idea. Understand how they’re written and what are the different techniques employed for writing different summaries. It’s no big hassle to download a template specifically designed for this job profile. Come out with flying colors!
How to write an Accounting Resume Summary?
- Experience: A summary should always begin with any experience that the candidate haves. This includes previous work experiences, internships, etc.
- Skills: Next, make a statement of all the technical skills that you possess. This means a statement of all accounting abilities, delegation, innovative skills, etc. Other soft skills like being able to work in groups, communicating effectively should also be stated.
- Relevance: Explain in a sentence why you would be best suited for the position the company is offering.
Accounting Resume Skills
Here you will go through the necessary skills required for an accounting position and how they should be incorporated in a resume.
- Organisation and time management.
- Ability to adapt to changing environment.
- Improving and implementing innovative methods and techniques.
- Communicating effectively within different departments.
- Ability to lead and delegate tasks.
- Being open to new ideas and creating a few as well.
For the employer to have a more comprehensive idea of your skills, ensure that they are stated in bullet points. This will make it easy and simple to go through. Download an accounting resume template to get started on a fresh resume today!